Brief Overview of India Statistical Strengthening Project (ISSP)
Background (in brief)
India Statistical Strengthening Project (ISSP) is a comprehensive project designed to strengthen State statistical systems by way of providing adequate technical and financial support to improve their statistical capacity and infrastructure for collecting, compiling and disseminating reliable official statistics for policy planning purposes particularly at the State and Sub-State levels. With the above primary objective, the India Statistical Strengthening Project(ISSP) could also be perceived as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS) launched and being implemented with a view to act as a catalyst in facilitating implementation of National Strategic Statistical Plan (NSSP) for meeting growing data requirements, both at national and international levels.
2. ISSP was formulated as a sequel to the recommendations made by the National Statistical Commission (NSC) headed by Dr. C. Rangarajan and constituted for effecting necessary improvements in the Indian Statistical System. The said Commission had inter-alia comprehensively considered various important issues and requirements for the strengthening of the State Statistical System in the country.
3. ISSP is being implemented as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme of the Government of India (GOI) since 11th Plan, with an approved initial outlay of Rs.650.43 crores, out of which 80% has been funded through a World Bank Loan and 20% borne by the Government of India. The Project was approved by CCEA on 19th March, 2010. All the States/UTs are participating in the project except for Goa and Chandigarh which may also join the project in due course.
4. The participating States/UTs in the Project are required to prepare State Strategic Statistical Plans (SSSPs) outlining the vision, development plan and implementation strategies for the respective State/UT. After approval of SSSP by the State Government and the High level Steering Committee on ISSP in the Centre, an MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) is signed between the Government of India and the concerned State Government, on a case-to-case basis, to commence implementation of the Project for which funds are released in installments in accordance with the terms and conditions contained in the respective MoUs.
Key Areas of Support under ISSP
5. ISSP aims to cover the following key areas of support to the States/UTs viz. (i) improving the coordination and management of statistical activities in the States/UTs (ii) Human Resource Development (HRD) (iii) developing statistical infrastructure (iv) investing in physical infrastructure, including IT and (v) Improving statistical operations, especially those supporting the cause of improvement in the quality and dissemination of statistical data.
Expected outcomes under ISSP
6. With proper and effective implementation of ISSP, it is expected that there would be a significant improvement in the credibility, timeliness and reliability of state/sub-state and therefore, in turn the national level data, particularly in respect of following 20 key identified statistical indicators, including improvement in terms of adherence to prescribed statistical standards.
7. In addition, ISSP is also expected to improve and catalyze the process of generating data required for planning, monitoring and reviewing various development schemes including different flagship schemes of the Government. In fact, ISSP, by way of strengthening the State Statistical Systems in the country, can be expected to eventually stimulate development of a more sound objective data/information based decision support system at both the national and sub-national levels.
- Estimation of State Domestic Product
- Estimation of Capital formation and Savings
- Estimation of District Domestic Product
- Estimation of the contribution of local bodies
- Compilation of data on major Fiscal variables
- Participation in the conduct of Annual Survey of Industries
- Compilation of Index of Industrial Production
- Estimation of Crop area and Production
- Compilation of Wholesale Price Index numbers
- Compilation of Consumer Price Index numbers
- Collection and compilation of Health, Morbidity and Mortality and Family Welfare Statistics
- Collection and compilation of Education and Literacy statistics
- Collection and compilation of Labour and Employment statistics
- Collection and compilation of Housing statistics
- Birth and Death registration and Population
- Compilation of Electricity production and distribution statistics
- Compilation of Environment and Forest statistics
- Participation in the surveys of National Sample Survey Organization
- Compilation of Transport statistics
- Collection and compilation of Statistics for local area planning.