The Data Processing Division (DPD) of NSSO with Headquarters at Kolkata and five Data Processing Centres outside Kolkata at Ahmadabad, Bangalore, Delhi, Giridih and Nagpur is primarily mandated to undertake the processing, the tabulation and the dissemination of data collected through Nation Wide Large Scale Sample Surveys on various Socio-economic issues conducted by National Sample Survey Office (NSSO) under the Government of India. This task of transforming large volume of raw data into the final form of Key Indicators or Estimates in Tabular Format with due process of scrutiny and validation is carried out by a large number of trained and experienced technical officials in Electronic Data Processing Cadre under the overall supervision and guidance of the officers of Indian Statistical Service. The role of DPD starts from the initial stage of formulation of the Sample Design for NSS Surveys by SDRD wherein apart from providing input for the formulation it undertakes the job of sample selection. Later on DPD undertakes the job of software development for Data Entry, Data Verification, Data Validation, Coverage Checks, Howler Checks, Computer Edit, Tabulation, etc. DPD also assists the States by providing Data Processing Instruments including Software and technical guidance in all their data processing related activities and also through periodic training/workshop and other interactive methods.
With the advent of Information Technology, DPD is now introducing modern technology to reduce time and effort in data capturing and transmission besides improving quality of unit level data. It also helps other countries/organizations in enhancing their capacity building particularly in data processing/analysis by conducting various need based training programmes.
[Organizational Chart] [Staff Strength]
The main functions of DPD inter-alia include:
- Maintenance of sampling frame and updation of Urban Frame Survey Database.
- Selection of samples and preparation of Sample lists.
- Manual checking of identification particulars and pre data entry scrutiny.
- In-house development of validation and tabulation software.
- Data Entry & Verification of filled-in schedules.
- Validation of data through various stages covering both content check and coverage check.
- Preparation of Directory and Multiplier files for estimation of parameters.
- Tabulation of validated data as per approved tabulation plan.
- Processing & tabulation of monthly Rural retail price data and release of Quarterly Rural Price Bulletin.
- Assistance to state statistical agencies in processing of NSS state sample data.
- Providing training in application of computer and on data processing.
- Undertaking special data compilation and tabulation work for:
Organising scrutiny feedback workshop for FOD.
Providing technical guidance/assistance to NSS Data Users.
Meeting Data requirements(Adhoc tabulation/drawing of Samples etc.) and User’s queries.
- Various analytical studies, Methodological studies etc undertaken by
NSSO in support of Working Group/Steering Committee
- Special users/Committees/Ministries/Deptts./Orgs.
DPD as a Survey Data Processor