About Subordinate Statistical Service
The Subordinate Statistical Service (SSS) was constituted vide notification No. GSR98(E) & 99(E) dated 12.02.2002 on the recommendation of 5th Central Pay Commission by grouping statistical function posts of different participating Ministries/Departments/Organisations of the Govt. of India. This service was operationalisedw.e.f. 01.04.2004 on recommendation of 6th CPC it was subsequently notified as Group ‘B’ Service on 31.05.2013. Presently there are 62 participating organization and total strength of service is 3977.
The Subordinate Statistical Service (SSS) is a Group-B Central Civil Service of statistical officers which constitute feeder cadre for Indian Statistical Service (ISS). It is composed of Senior Statistical Officer (SSO) (Group-B Gazetted) having Grade Pay Rs. 4600 and Junior Statistical Officer (JSO) having Grade Pay Rs. 4200 in the Pay Band-2: Rs. 9300-34800 (pre-revised). As per 7th CPC, the Pay Scale of Senior Statistical Officer correspond to Level-7 and that of Junior Statistical Officer to Level-6.
Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation is the Cadre Controlling Authority of Subordinate Statistical Service (SSS). The Ministry is concerned with all matters pertaining to the service including recruitment, promotion, training, career and manpower planning, etc. However, day-to-day administrative matters of SSS officers are taken care by the respective Ministries/Departments/Organisations in which these officers are posted. Out of total 3977 posts, 3227 (81%) are in Field Operations Division (FOD) of the National Sample Survey Office (NSSO) and the remaining 750 (19%) are in other Ministries/ Departments/ Organisations. The SSS Rules, 2013 provide for 90 per cent of the post of Junior Statistical Officer to be filled up by direct recruitment through open competitive examination viz. Combined Graduate Level Examination (CGLE) conducted by the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) while 10per cent by promotion from feeder post holders. There is no direct recruitment at the level of SSO of the Service.
Officials of SSS posted in Ministries/Departments/Organisations other than NSSO (FOD) are carrying out day-to-day statistical functions of the Ministries/Department/Organisation as per work assigned to them. The Statistical Officers in NSSO (FOD) are engaged in data collection from the selected households/enterprises etc. both in Urban and Rural areas by personally visiting them through well-designed schedules.